Archive for the 'Visual Studio' Category

Revisiting my Blog

I have spent a decent amount of time over the years, trying to convince myself to spend some time on my blog.  I have updated the OS of the VM that runs it.  I have migrated from whatever platform I started on (I think I had two different ones going at one point.)

I have once again gotten interested in blogging.  I have a colleague who started blogging.  You can find him here.  He is a bit easier to read than my stuff.

I am going to try getting into this again.  I have started down a couple of parallel paths.  This is a normal (bad) habit I have.  I get distracted by all the possibilities and become locked in an endless loop. 

For this go around, I have already stood up a dev instance of this blog in Azure.  It didn’t take long at all, and I was distracted (by real life) and didn’t spend more that a few minutes on it at a time.  I am also about to embark on a quest to use a bunch of the things that I am trying to work with in my normal job, to take this blog to the next level (ha). 

As of this writing, this blog has some behind the scenes updates that need to occur.  The MySql and PHP are not as up to date as they should be, and I only just got the WordPress version updated.  My last post was 19 months ago.  I can fix that by posting this.
I am working on a team that is moving to a Scaled Agile approach to our work.  I am in infrastructure, and DevOps/SAFe/Agile are all just a bit more challenging concepts to apply to infrastructure than to traditional dev workflows.  I am excited about this change, and my role in it, and it is still challenging.

So to wrap up the rambling speech to myself, my intent is to:

  • Move this blog to Azure
  • Add SSL (because it should be)
  • Track my work in Azure DevOps
  • Deploy via Visual Studio
  • Have a test/dev and production version
  • Add a few more posts to this blog
  • Learn

Thanks for reading.  See you at the next post.

Icon Extractor in VB.NET – The Code Project – VB.NET

I was looking for a way to get a particular graphic, and came across this utility.  I thought it might be useful later.


The general idea is to pull out icons that are embedded resources to DLL’s or EXE’s. The way it’s done is with the old fashioned Win32 API’s.

Icon Extractor in VB.NET – The Code Project – VB.NET


I was trying to figure out how to get some data from an ODBC source and put it into SQL, and found a post with an interesting possible answer: 

Recently, I discovered an issue with SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) regarding how the Execute SQL Task item handles returning a result set to the control flow. Lets start by demonstrating an existing issue with the Execute SQL Task using ODBC then I’ll present a solution. First, create a new DSN that points to the database using the ODBC Data Sources Administrator (Control Panel | Administrator Tools | ODBC Data Sources). If you are only dealing with SQL Server you can still test this out by creating a DSN that uses the SQL Server ODBC driver.

Sql Server Integration Service (SSIS) Execute SQL Task ODBC Result Set Bug/Workaround

Product instance … has had update 3054 installed…

So when I tried to install the update that I downloaded in my earlier post, I got the following message:

The product instance SQL Tools has had update 3054 installed. You do not need to install this update. An update equal to or greater than 3159 should be downloaded.

Isn’t that special… 

Guess I need to do some more searching…

Please visit the IDE in Script Task Editor…

I was trying to build a tool to move some data between a TSM Database and a SQL 2005 Database.  Mostly so that I can create a few reports to impress people who don’t have any idea what it is that I am reporting on. 

There are a number of issues with trying to do this, not the least of which is the fact that I have no idea what I am really doing.  The fact that I am working with a mixture of x32 and x64 operating systems and applications isn’t helping.  The fact that Microsoft doesn’t really like to work with ODBC drivers and Tivoli doesn’t provide x64 ODBC Drivers makes it more complicated.

I did some searching and I am not the only one who has tried to use ODBC to move data around.  There is a nice blog post here:

But when I tried that I kept getting this error:

Package Validation Error
Error at ImportTastk: The task is configured to pre-compile the script, but binary code is not found. Please visit the IDE in Script Task Editor by clicking Design Script button to cause binary code to be generated.

I did a google on that and came up with a hotfix that is supposed to fix the issue:

I will be applying that and see what I get…